Re: [hylafax-users] No answer (T.30 T1 time-out) for SOME fax numbers

Peter Schoenster wrote:

Hi,

Error is "No answer (T.30 T1 time-out)" when modem is
identified as class2(2.0) and "No carrier detected"
when identified as class1. Hylafax works with both
configurations. It will send faxes to many numbers
with either configuration(s). (I took configurations
from the /config directory and used those ... made
only a change to dial out of the PBX and some
identifiers).

using
hylafax-4.2.1 on 2.4.20 #2 Wed Aug 10 23:53:11 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux redhat and modem is MODEM USR U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT V5.2.9
V32bis,V.80,V.34+,x2,V.90,V.92 Fax Options Class
1/Class 2.0 Line Options

I can send faxes to local numbers and to long-distance
numbers. I have no troubles sending faxes to lots of
fax numbers.

For one fax number which gives the above errors, the
fax will pick up after 4 rings and it will emit sounds
which sound like a fax to me. I know because I called
the number from my phone.  I was also able to send a
fax to this number if I used our fax machine.

Hylafax will call and hangup after 5 rings. I know
this because I had it call my phone.

If there are 4-6 seconds between each ring 4 rings could be as much as 24 seconds. Add to that the call time before the first ring, and you may come very close to 30 seconds... and at that point many fax devices will give up. Note that T1 is 35 seconds... so if the initial handshaking does not occur before then the call will abort.

So, for testing, add a bunch of commas to the dialstring after the numbers:

ModemDialCmd: ATDT%s,,,,,

Adding 5 commas will get you approximately 10 more seconds of negotiation time. If that's not it, then it could be that your USR modem is incapable of hearing the receiver's CED signal.

Lee.