Re: [hylafax-users] Modem Wedged problems

Mark Bennett wrote:

I am having fairly frequent "Wedged" problems with my modems.

My Hylafax server processes around 1500 faxes / 2500 pages a month.

The wedged issue doesn't seem to be modem brand specific, as I have
tried a number of brands including very old 14.4k models.

Currently I have 9 x Dynalink 1456VQE external, with the Topic chipset

tty config is "standard topic" settings.

This seems too broad of an issue to be modem or configuration related. But, since we're not hearing other reports of this kind of thing it's probably specific to your installation. I'd look at your multiport serial controller. Do the modems not connected to the multiport controller also lock up?

When wedged, the modem shows carrier present, and seems unable to be
reset.

And what do you do to recover the modem? Power cycle it? Reboot the server?

Also, a modem sometimes will just lock up, and not even a wedged message
is sent.
It is always the same sender when this occurs.
The sender is the biggest multipage sender, and it locks up during the
later pages.

The log you sent shows a lock-up on the first page. The fact that it is always locking up on the same sender may simply be due to the fact that the sender is the most frequent sender. In other words, I wouldn't give too much attention right now to these indications. Look at hardware and drivers.

Lee.