Re: [hylafax-users] pdf2ps, faxmail, sendfax, sendmail

On Apr 15, 2005, at 12:15 PM, Lee Howard wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Tom Rymes wrote:

I have seen this about 500 times on the list and it always elicits the
same response from me:

1.) I am not a programmer, so I can't just throw anything together.

I don't mean to sound elitist, but HylaFAX does require a fair amount of
skill to get customized and working ideally. For example, FaxDispatch
customization requires at least *some* shell skills. Then there's
FaxNotify, DynamicConfig, and others. These were all meant for
customization. Sure, HylaFAX works without them being touched, and that's
the idea. But when someone wants to take HylaFAX beyond the defaults,
then some skill is required to make that happen.

So my point is that when a HylaFAX administrator wants to take HylaFAX
beyond the defaults then they need to either 1) have some skills to make
that happen, or 2) get someone to do it for them.

I agree 100%, and I don't expect help for free. I was suggesting that, due to the large number of requests that seem to pop up here, this might be a good feature to consider implementing, thus making it part of the "default". The only reason I even suggest it at all is that the usual response to the questions ("Throw something together in perl, it's really easy.") suggests that it would not be very difficult.

[snip]

(especially if it is so easy, and so many
others have already invented this wheel, it seems.)

It's a customization in each case. It's not something, really, that you
expect to be useful for others. If I gave you one of my faxmail
replacements then you would be pretty much required to know shell
scripting in order to get it working for you. And so you'd ask me to do
it for you, and it would just go to reconfirm my statements above that if
you can't customize it yourself you'll need to get someone to do it for
you.

OK, this makes sense, but I would think that some reasonable "standard" settings could be chosen, leaving the user to their own devices if they want to deviate from the default standard settings.

I'm not complaining here, until I start contributing code myself, I'm just happy to have such a great program to use! However, I think that the PDF attachment to fax would be a great feature for a number of current and potential users. Someone asked why do this instead of print-to fax, and there are various reasons, such as not wanting to configure a printer on all of my client PCs. Also, it makes it easier to use multiple platforms, not to mention I could then send a fax easily when I was out on the road by sending an e-mail. I could set it so that I can send an occasional fax from home without messing about with firewall settings, client programs on my home PC, etc.

Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I swear,

Tom