Re: [hylafax-users] fax not received correctly but send MCF - TIFF corrupted

Luciano Mazaira wrote:

Thanks Lee,

I don't know what did the sender send.

If the fax is not received correctly, I would not like that hylafax was answering this with MCF because the sender thinks that his fax was received OK!.

If you don't know what the sender intended to send how do you know that it was not received correctly? I have seen many senders transmit empty-data pages (meaning that the page data consisted entirely of an RTC signal - meaning a fax page with no data). In those cases I'm guessing (I've yet to find out what the intentions of the sender are) that the sending fax machine had some kind of paper-feed error or a cancellation of sorts.

There is some way to avoid this?

Well, if this sender were to use ECM then we would have a better idea that it really did intend on sending no image data. So without knowing what the sender intended in the first place I'm hesitent to jump to conclusions.

That said, it wouldn't be hard to make HylaFAX require at least one complete line of data before counting the page as good. Then it would transmit RTN instead of MCF (in the scenario that you described). I've no idea how the sender will react to RTN, however. Many senders treat RTN as a confirmation.

Lee.