Re: [hylafax-users] Fax modem (data rate vs fax rate)

Thanks Giulio. That was valuable information. :)

According to the log file....
<log>
SESSION BEGIN 000000033 17737521622
HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.2.0
REMOTE best vres 7.7 line/mm
REMOTE best format 2-D MR
USE 7.7 line/mm
USE 1-D MH
</log>

The info file for that number contains....
<info>
supportsVRes:1
supports2DEncoding:yes
supportsMMR:no
</info>

So, apparently its using a low compression ratio (1-D MH) when the receiver is capable of handling 2-D MR.
Question 1:
Why?

When I add the modem using faxaddmodem, its detecting it as a class 2 modem. Its not giving me an option to configure the class of my modem. My modem is MT1932ZDX (max 14.4 Kbps).

Question 2:
How to switch the class of my modem from "Class2" to "Class1" ?

Question 3:
Would switching the class of my modem enable it to use a better compression ratio?

This is the first time I am trying to send faxes thru the fax modem attached to my Linux machine. Previously, I used to use the Canon fax machine in my office. So, I do not have any data related to the max fax rates of the fax modems that I usually send faxes to.

Thanks again.
Joe.