[hylafax-users] hylafax, TAP pagers and control characters

[using Hylafax 4.2.1 on Solaris 7]

The paging service we're just started using (vodafone in the UK) won't accept messages via their dialup TAP service which contain a newline in the body of the message - fails with INVALID MESSAGE ...

<-- <25:\002XXXXXXXX\015hello\012\015\00347;\015>

--> <32:ID XXXXXXXXX/INVALID MESSAGE >

That's the result of doing ...

echo hello | sendpage -p v1

If I do

sendpage -p v1 hello

then it works (obviously no newline in the message).

This has been mentioned on the list at least once - http://www.hylafax.org/archive/2001-02/msg00244.html - but I don't see an answer.

I've got a copy of Vodafone's TAP spec and they say that the message (ie the bit between <STX>pagernum<CR> and <CR><ETX>) can only include characters between 20 hex and 7E hex.

I had a look at the TAP 1.8 spec and that suggests that control characters (less than 20 hex) should be transmitted by converting into a two byte sequence of hex 1A followed by original character code + hex 40. The spec explicitly lists nine characters (including LF) which should be encoded.

Is this functionality somewhere in Hylafax? I'm quite willing to believe that I've just missed it.

If not, should it be? I'm guessing that the appropriate place to implement this would be in pageSendApp::prepareMsg.

Paul

--
Paul Haldane
Unix Systems Team,