Re: [hylafax-users] Frame Number Errors

On 2005.01.18 10:56 Adam Engel wrote:

At 01:38 PM 1/18/2005, Lee Howard wrote:

Jan 18 13:10:40.59: [ 4775]: RECV received frame number 98
Jan 18 13:10:40.77: [ 4775]: RECV received frame number 99

Just for peace of mind, the messages RECV received frame number ## , are they notifications that a problem is occuring or is this normal for class 1 modems? We had all our modems on class 2, but switched about 10 of them to class 1 over the weekend.

They are happy messages. They are normal messages seen in Class 1/1.0 when the session negotiated ECM (error-correction).

With ECM the image data is broken up into "blocks" of 64K and "frames" of 256 bytes. The frames are HDLC-encoded (thus they show up when HDLC frames are logged). The logging of "RECV received frame number ##" is just HylaFAX being verbose about what it's doing. Initially I put that logging there for troubleshooting purposes, but then I became very accustomed to seeing it there, as that logging tends to indicate the general health of the communication from the sender. So I left it in there. As the frames should normally come in sequential order, it will give you a good idea about any problems if you see it skip numbers, i.e., 95 skipping to 99 or something like that.

Lee.