Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax dial-up problem

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 11:30, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> Please excuse me for sending this again, I seem to have had some
> subscription problems that are now solved.
>
> Scenario:
> Running Gentoo Linux kernel 2.4.22, Hylafax 4.2.0-r1 from portage.
>
> I have the following settings in /var/spool/fax/etc/
>
> /var/spool/fax/etc/config.usb_tts_0:	GettyArgs:          "-b -r -s %s %l"
>
> /var/spool/fax/etc/setup.cache:	PATHEGETTY='/bin/false'
> /var/spool/fax/etc/setup.cache:	PATHGETTY='/usr/sbin/mgetty'
> /var/spool/fax/etc/setup.cache:	PATHVGETTY='/usr/sbin/vgetty'
>
> To achieve this, I edited /usr/sbin/faxsetup and changed
>
> PATH_GETTY=/sbin/agetty
> PATH_GETTY=/usr/sbin/mgetty
>
> then ran faxsetup.
>
> When I dial in to the system, the log shows:
>
> FaxGetty[4308]: GETTY: START "/sbin/agetty -b -r -s 19200 usb/tts/0", pid
> 4327
>
> The only way I've been able to get dial-up to work is to rename
> /sbin/agetty and make it a symlink to /usr/sbin/mgetty.
>
> Questions:
> 1) Why is faxgetty calling agetty instead of mgetty?
> 2) Is this a gentoo specific problem, or something common to hylafax?
> 3) What can I cange so that Hylafax works as doccumented?

I think you're having a gentoo specific problem.  Faxsetup should set the
paths which you confirm(but can't set) with setup.cache.   I setup a gentoo
system once some while ago and can't remember the details but I vaguely
recall it had some special way of setting environmental variables.   My
feeling is gentoo is overiding environmental variables for hylafax somewhere,
perhaps in some rc file in /etc.   Perhaps a grep for PATH_GETTY in etc would
turn up something.

 That said, I prefer using agetty over mgetty anyway because I don't need any
of the additional functionality that mgetty provides.  I run it as :

GettyArgs:		"-w -t 60 %s -"

George