Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax + T38modem + VOIP Gateway

Using --old-asn doesn't make much of a difference.

Without it bringing up the right channel type (t38 not g711) seems to work a bit less often than with it.

I'm pretty sure I have a problem with the gateway not the t38modem as indicated by all the bad HDLC frames and ethereal's packet analyser even saying the frames are bad.

The problem is I have no idea what's causing it and neither do the tech support people it seems as I have been waiting a long time for an answer. I would guess that it is a timing issue or just a very poor implementation of t38. I was hoping someone had gotten the same unit going.

Funnily enough the unit's instruction manual is identical to the Patton/Inalps VOIP gateways so if anyone has gotten one of them working I'd like to hear about it.

Regards,

Kimble Young

Steve Underwood wrote:
Alexandre Aractingi wrote:

Has anyone managed to get hylafax + T38modem + a gateway apart from cisco working?

I got it to work with an Innovaphone gateway (IP3000)

t38modem is - 0.8.0
hylafax is either 4.2.0 or 4.1.8 (tried a few machines)
t38modem is run with: t38modem -F -n --old-asn -p ttyx0,ttyx1 -P T.38-UDP --route all@xxxxxxxxxxxx -o trace.log -ttt

Don't invoke '--old-asn', it's supposed to be a workaround for Cisco gateways... Good luck!

It is not just for Cisco. The ASN.1 in the original T.38 spec has an error. Most things have been implemented to the erroneous spec, and only a few recent things seem to work to the corrected version of the ASN.1. Ethereal, for example, can work with both, but defaults to the erroneous version as it is much more common.

Regards,
Steve