Re: [hylafax-users] Faxing using VOIP

CG,

If you're going over cable or adsl links to a provider who could be halfway across the country or even world then using VOIP codecs is only going to cause heartache. It'll work sometimes but more often than not it will fail.

If you would like to use T.38 there's a couple of things you need to ascertain. First is whether the provider supports it or not, second whether they do h323 because that is what the t.38 modem uses (not SIP).

If your provider does not support t.38 you've had it. That is most likely where you'll find the problems lie.

Regards,

Kimble Young

CG wrote:
Negativity is okay. I'd rather know now than waste time later.

I'm connecting using an Analog adaptor. The modem connects directly to the
device. There is a WAN port on the adaptor itself which is what it uses to
communicate with the provider (lingo).

Here's the device, as close as I can tell:

http://www.pcdglobal.com/VoIP.htm

The device, according to that webpage, appears to support T.38 Faxing... My
provider appears to use its own firmware, and I don't have supervisor access,
so I'm not sure if its enabled or not.

I've googled T.38 and come up with some reading... Any hints to explicit
HylaFax+T.38 HOWTO's would sure save some time!!

I haven't been able to find out how to tell HylaFax to limit the maximum
bandwidth when using hfaxd and faxq (not sendfax). Anyone know how to do this?

CG

--- Kimble Young <kimble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I hate to be negative but unless you're trying to fax over VOIP over ethernet you're going to have all sorts of problems. This is because internet links have lag and packet loss etc.

T.38 alleviates these problems a fair bit but needs equipment that supports it.

Regards,

Kimble Young

CG wrote:

I upgraded to 4.2.0... Still no better over the VOIP line.

It seems like every second or third fax fails in "No answer (T.30 T1

timeout)"

Still, whole lines from the printed page are disappearing.

Switching back to POTS fixes every issue except for the long distance fees.

Please advise. Many thanks!

CG

--- CG <cgg007@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I saw that, but I don't see "sendfax" firing... I queue the fax up using
hfaxd.
I see FaxGetty, FaxQueuer, and FaxSend. I don't think my fax process uses
that
application at all!

Before I wrote to the list, I tried using "DesiredSpeed" in
/var/spool/hylafax/etc/config and in /var/spool/hylafax/etc/config.ttyS3. It was an unknown command in both

places

according to daemon.log ...

I guess I still need a point in the right direction...

Can you explain better the error correction for Class1 and Class1.0? Would I configure my modem as a Class1 device instead of a Class2.0

device?

Do all Class1 fax machines support error correction?

CG