Re: [hylafax-users] Question about Multitech DID modem? Type of analog trunk?

Lee Howard wrote:
On 2004.11.17 14:11 Ben Chapman wrote:

I've talked briefly with one of our telecomm engineers and he's asking about the provisioning required for the Multitech; I believe that he is thinking in terms of a PRI circuit.

A PRI (or any other kind of T1 circuit) is not what you're looking for.

I've set these DID modems up with a few different telcos (Sprint, Qwest, and Verizon). Sometimes I had to talk with them for long lengths of time about it, but all of them ended up using the terminology of "analog DID trunk".

Thanks for this clarification.

>[snipped excerpt from the manual that I should have found before posting]

Thanks for this! I've sent it (and the whole manual) along to the telecom guy. Because we're a fairly large university campus, it's our on-site people who would set this up; maybe that will make it easier than trying to talk directly to the telco.

In all of my installations the configuration was *always* wink start signalling with DTMF digit formatting. Again, ultimately all of the telcos ended up calling this an "analog DID trunk line". The monthly price has varied between $40 and $50 per line (one line per modem/simultaneous inbound call). You'll probably be the only one at the local telco to have such a service as it is rather uncommon.

Lee.

Again, thanks -- we'll see what the next round of questions are.

Ben

--
Ben Chapman ben.chapman@xxxxxxxxx 404-727-6948
Director of Information Technology, Emory University School of Law