Re: [hylafax-users] Which faxmodem works without PC

Am 9. Nov 2004 um 10:45 Uhr schrieb Peter Jensen:
I heard about fax-modems that can receive and cache faxes during the pc
is off (e.g. at night).

I'm using one at home, a Martignoni Electronics SpiderMan. The manufacturer went out of business, though, and I wouldn't recommend getting an used one, as sending doesn't work (I'm using a separate modem for sending, which has the benefit that I can send faxes to myself for testing).

It's a Class 2 modem. Receiving works fine, the modem simply fakes incoming calls once the serial port is opened by faxgetty, so HylaFAX doesn't notice any difference.
Sending, on the other hand, doesn't work at all, the firmware is totally broken in this respect. (It 'works' with FaxExpress, a cheap single-user fax software included with the modem, as it doesn't seem to care about the modem responses - sometimes a fax wouldn't arrive when FaxExpres said it did. Fortunately HylaFAX is very strict about this.)

But i read much about problems with US Robotics.

I don't know about USR, but my general experience is that consumer grade modems are mainly intended for ISP dialup, while fax support is there just so they can mention another feature in their marketing blurb.

I recommend using Class 1 if at all possible, as it puts more of the work on HylaFAX instead of on the modem, so there is less opportunity for the modem to screw up.

The sending modem in my home setup is an Acer Surf 56k in Class 1, which is working OK. The only issue is that it locks up when the destination is busy, so it'll stay off hook until HylaFAX times out and resets it; I can live with that as I have a moderate fax volume.

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Flothow
sebastian@xxxxxxxxxx

Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.