Re: [hylafax-users] modem on /dev/ttyS2 appears wedged

On 2004.11.05 04:45 "Phillips, Steve M. (IA)" wrote:
Hi,

I have a Dell server with a Rocketmodem III 8 port modem card.

I am currently getting the wedged message on one of the modems.

I have powered down the server and restarted and this appears to not
have fixed the problem. I am still getting the wedged message.

Any ideas?

I have a lot of admiration for Comtrol and their desire to support their customers using the RocketModems as fax modems, but they seem fairly handicapped (probably by the lack of money generally in the fax market for firmware support) at fixing any fax problems with their modems.

The Comtrol RocketModem (ISA) and RocketModem II (PCI) are great fax modems. They use Rockwell/Conexant chipsets, and the Class 1 implementation is quite good on them.

The Comtrol RocketModem III (PCI) also uses Conexant chipsets, but the DSP code that Comtrol uses on them is different, perhaps coming from a different DSP code provider.

I tested a RocketModem III in my development system (VIA Apollo Pro Plus chipset motherboard) and found no problems at all. Not long after putting that RocketModem into production use (a P4 system, Intel chipset) I struggled and struggled with various problems (modems getting locked up, V.17 failing outright, self-generated noise on sending and receiving, etc.). I reported these problems to Comtrol, and they were quick to respond and address my problems, but they must rely on the fixes to come from their DSP code provider. After a few months of waiting I did receive new firmware from them, but it still had many of the same problems. I really couldn't wait any longer, so I replaced the RocketModem III with a RocketModem II and have had no further issues.

I'm not sure if the problems with the RM III only surfaced when it went into production because of the increased load on the card, or if it was due to a compatibility issue with the motherboard chipset.

In any case, I never did have a single modem port lock up permanantely that would not reset itself through a reboot.

Lee.