Re: [hylafax-users] capi4hylafax and Debian

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 12:41, Mattia Martinello wrote:
> > Well, you have not given any information as to wht you have tried, what
> > was logged, any error messages..
>
> The main problem is that I didn't understand what packages I have to
> install on Debian. I succesfully installed all on SuSE 9.1, but SuSE is
> more compatible with AVM devices.
> Have I to rebuild the kernel? I didn't understand if the kernel comes
> with Debian has AVM support build in it.

Debian can only include truly free software (which meets the Debian Free
Software Guidelines) and I would not expect the binary modules required for
the Fritz!Card PCI to confirm to that, hence you'll probably need to either
recompile your kernel or at least install the kernel-headers packages and
compile AVM's driver against those..

I don't have an AVM card so I can't offer much more help here... but suffice
to say your problem is not related to HylaFAX yet :)

My final suggestion would be to make sure you're using Debian 'sarge' rather
than woody... Woody contains very old software now (circa April 2002).

Cheers,
Gavin.