[hylafax-users] Sendmail configuration problems for mail-to-fax gateway

Title: Sendmail configuration problems for mail-to-fax gateway

Hello List,

I've been looking through the archives and other websites about the above mentioned issue. But I'm still completely lost.

Basically, what I have to do so that sendmail forwards *@fax-number.FAX messages to the faxmail script boils down to 2 options:

1.      edit sendmail.cf and restart sendmail
2.      create or edit fax.m4, then recreate sendmail.cf with the command m4 fax.m4 > sendmail.cf

I'm on Fedora Core 2 and the problems I'm having issues with both of the options:

1.      At the very top of sendmail.cf I have a warning: "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! Only edit the source .mc file. It also says that it has been "built by root@localhost using /usr/share/sendmail-cf/ as a configuration include directory. That's where for example fax.m4 resides (to be exact in the mailer subdirectory).

2.      So ok, never mind, I edit the fax.m4 file instead. But if I do the above described step, then sendmail.cf is overwritten and is reduced to just the fax part. That's not what I want, since I still need the other sendmail configurations.

So next thing I tried is delete my sendmail.cf and have it rebuilt by executing 'make -C /etc/mail' but then I have nothing about the fax configuration in it.

Can anyone help me choosing the right approach? especiall hints on where exactly to place the different parts as described in the mailfax script, and most of all, how to do this: "arrange things so that rule set 3 will not attempt a host map lookup on FAX addresses". The approach mentioned, adding "CPFAX" somewhere, didn't work either.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Erich Iseli