Re: [hylafax-users] Store Fax image in a database as blob

* Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [041019 10:51]:
> On 2004.10.19 04:08 Evgenios Charalambous wrote:
> > I would like to know if there is a way to store the fax image in a
> >mysql
> >database as a blob.
>
> Yes.
>
> >If this is possible what changes do I have to do in the scripts to
> >accomplish this task.
>
> MIME-encode the file and then take that MIME text and store it into the
> blob field.

It's a blob.  Don't bother encoding it.  The purpose of a BLOB is to use
binary data.

> IMHO it's a fantastic way to waste space.  :-)

A blob in a proper database is actually probably less space than a file,
+ inode + dentry information in a filesystem.  And you get the
clustering, remote access, remote user management, etc for free with the
RDBMS.  Couple that with storing the session info in the database at the
same time, and you've got very powerful searching, indexing, and
statistics.

Of course, by using MySQL, you give up all the power and features that
having it as a blob gives you ;-)