Re: [hylafax-users] Receive T.30 T2 timeout

Lee Howard wrote:
On 2004.09.14 20:17 Eric Shubes wrote:

(Help, oh Lee one!)

(I'm reminded of a certain holographic projection that R2-D2 played for Luke, Threepio, and Ben... "you're our only hope"...)

That's precisely what I had in mind. I'm glad you got it!

Try:

Class2RecvDataTrigger: "\021"

Thanks. Gave it a shot, but no go. The "failure to communicate" happened just before that code gets sent (according to log).

That's just a guess, though.

Appreciate the guess! It actually seemed to work ok or even a bit better, but not well enough.

In any case, I would recommend switching to Class 1 if the modem supports it. If not, then you may need to contact the manufacturer to see if they know the configuration problem or if there is an updated firmware available.

I figured that'd be the case. That ol' Multitech modem was ok for sending, but receiving is a whole different matter. It's so old that I didn't want to even try to deal with the manufacturer. Needless to say, it only supports Class 2.

I picked up a Best Data modem
(http://www.bestdata.com/product.asp?pid=41&catID=4)
on my way home last night, and tried it out today. Everything went
smooth as silk. I shut down hylafax (including faxgetty), disconnected
the old modem, connected the new one, poked around it a bit with
minicom, renamed the old config.ttyS0, ran faxaddmodem using class 1.0
configuration, and started hylafax (and faxgetty). Voila! Sending worked
fine, and no failures on receipts.

As a note for future users, my opinion is that Class 1 (or 1.0?) is the
best way to use hylafax. Instinctively Class 2 would seem better (2>1),
but once you understand how this stuff works, Class 1 makes much more
sense as a more robust solution. I suppose there might be a circumstance
when Class 2 would be preferable (no Class 1 capability?), but I can't
think of one.

Oh Lee one, you truly save the Republic of Hylafax!
Thanks again for all your excellent help.

Lee.

-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;
 it is a collectivist myth.