Re: [hylafax-users] Getting sendmail to do wildcarding?

I'm going to guess at what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to setup a single fax server where all of you other UNIX servers send outbund fax requests to, then you want to add the FAX_RELAY to your mc file and run it through m4 again. Check the cf/cf/README. That will do it.

define(`FAX_RELAY', `facsimile.abc.com')dnl

If you are trying to setup a single fax server where you send outbound faxes from non UNIX hosts, like maybe Exchange, then you will have to setup either an smtp relay to fax relay server or you will need to modify a rule in the sendmail.cf on the fax relay server, which is what I did.

Yes, I know, modifing the sendmail.cf directly is bad. I just havn't had the time to write up the correct entry for the mc file.

This is what I did, I'm assuming you are running your own DNS and you are using sendmail 8.10.X or above:

1) In DNS, create a cname fax2 to facsimile in your zone file:
fax2           IN      A       10.2.1.48

In the reverse:
10.2.1.db:48    IN      PTR     fax2.abc.com.

rndc reload table_names

2) Do not add fax2 into the /etc/mail/local-host-names or the /etc/hosts

3) Edit the sendmail.mc and add:

dnl define(`FAX_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/local/bin/faxmail')dnl
dnl define(`FAX_MAILER_ARGS',`faxmail -d -p 10pt $u@$h $f')dnl
MAILER(fax)dnl

Then m4 the sendmail.mc. Uncomment the PATH and ARGS if necessary.

4) Now, you will need to edit the sendmail.cf file directly. Directly under the line "SParse0" add the following:

R$+ < @ FAX2. >           $#fax $@ $1 $: $1       user@xxxxxxxx
R$+ < @ FAX2.abc.com. >   $#fax $@ $1 $: $1       user@xxxxxxxx

NOTE1: Mind the spaces, tabs and periods.
NOTE2: The white chars between the ">" and "$#fax" are tabs not spaces. And between the "$1" and "user@xxxxxxxx" are tabs not spaces.

I have two entries here, the first one is for a very, very old mail system which doesn't support DNS and I must use hosts.txt entries on the local server. The second one is the one you will need.

Now, understand this, I am NOT a sendmail expert, the above is something I cobbled together from the bat book. It does what I need for it to do.

Now, you should be able from your email client, Eudora, outlook, to send a fax to 12015551212@xxxxxxxxxxxx I'm not sure this is what you want. Maybe you want the sender address to look like "johnDoe.12015551212@xxxxxxxxxxxx". In that case, you will need to modify the above rule.

hylafax@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Ok,
So now I have sendmail setup to accept mail for .fax.domain.com  but how
do I get it to "relay" mail for *.fax.domain.com ?

~ Matt