Re: [hylafax-users] Thoughts about the Brooktrout TR1034 card

> Hi all,
>
> My business is considering purchasing a Brooktrout TR1034 card to greatly
> reduce the clutter caused by 20 external fax modems, 3 fax servers, and
the
> associated power cables. This looks like it would be a great investment
> over time since we can use our phone lines comming from the T1 already,
and
> have them go to a server with this card.

No matter who the manufacturer, a T1/PRI fax board is the cleanest way to
scale to that size, definitely. Brooktrout's TR1034 comes in fractional port
densities of 4, 8, 16 and 24, and if you only had 20 analog lines because
you needed 20 separate numbers (or bins to put faxes into) you can often
collapse 20 analog lines into a lot fewer digital lines. As you say, this
also means you can integrate directly with your PBX ... we have a lot of
experience integrating the TR1034 with Nortel, Avaya, Panasonic PBX's etc.
Of course, it doesn't hurt to change from those copper pairs and their
vulnerability to electrical/acoustic interference to an error-corrected
digital circuit either ;-)

One advantage of the TR1034 over other boards is the field-upgradability
(Brooktrout call it TEC). You can buy a 4-port now, and upgrade later as
need requires, and as budget allows. All the hardware's already on the
board.

A second advantage of that board is the built-in support for T.38 (fax over
VoIP), which should be officially launched later this year by various
vendors including ourselves.

> Does anyone use this card currently? Are there any known problems with
> using this and Hylafax? Has anyone installed this on a RedHat 9 server? I
> notice is compatible with RedHat ES 3 and AS 3.

Many of our customers are using the TR1034 (digital _and_ analog) with great
success. You need a version of HylaFAX that supports it though, since the
open source version requires/assumes a hayes-compatible AT command interface
to its 'modems'. We just happen to sell one that supports both the TR114 and
TR1034 boards on Solaris and Red Hat and SuSE Linux that we bundle with a
few other goodies  ;-)

Give me a call if you like - further discussion is probably not appropriate
for hylafax-users ... I just didn't want to leave your question unanswered
today.

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson