[hylafax-users] Receiving some faxes, but not others

Hi folks,

Recently, I set up a little Hylafax test system, but alas: my success
have only been intermittent. I can send faxes no problem, but receiving
seems to depend heavily on the fax hardware being used to contact us.
When things do not work out, the faxmodem picks up, but then it doesn't
recognize that another fax is trying to communicate with it, times out
and hangs up. This is what shows up in the hylafax.log:

=================

Aug 18 16:20:33 chi FaxGetty[3876]: STATE CHANGE: RUNNING -> LISTENING
Aug 18 16:20:33 chi FaxGetty[3876]: STATE CHANGE: LISTENING -> ANSWERING
Aug 18 16:20:40 chi FaxGetty[3876]: ANSWER: FAX CONNECTION  DEVICE
'/dev/ttyS0'
Aug 18 16:21:35 chi FaxGetty[3876]: MODEM USROBOTICS COURIER HST DUAL
STANDARD V.34+ FAX Product type           Netherlands External MSK
Options                HST,V32bis,Terbo,V.FC,V34+ Fax Options
 Class 1/Class 2.0 Clock Freq             20.16Mhz Eprom
  256k Ram                    32k/Supervisor date        11/14/95 DSP
date               07/05/95 Supervisor rev         031-6.2.2 DSP rev
            1.2.2
Aug 18 16:21:36 chi FaxGetty[3876]: STATE CHANGE: RECEIVING -> RUNNING
(timeout 30)

=================

I'm assuming that something is not right on my end. I'm using an old US
Robotics Courier faxmodem and I get the impression that it (ot it's
config) might be to blame. The modem configuration file (config.ttyS0)
looks like this:

==========

CountryCode:            31
AreaCode:               118
FAXNumber:              +31.118.123456
LongDistancePrefix:     1
InternationalPrefix:    00
DialStringRules:        /etc/hylafax/dialrules.europe
ServerTracing:          0x08501
SessionTracing:         0x08501
RecvFileMode:           0640
LogFileMode:            0640
DeviceMode:             0660
RingsBeforeAnswer:      1
SpeakerVolume:          off
#GettyArgs:             "-r -b %l"
GettyArgs:              "-r -b -s %s %l"
LocalIdentifier:        ""
TagLineFormat:          "From %%l|%c|Page %%P of %%T"
MaxRecvPages:           25
#
ModemType:              Class2.0        # use class 2.0 interface
ModemRate:              19200           # DCE-DTE communication rate
ModemFlowControl:       rtscts          # hardware flow control
#
ModemNoFlowCmd:         AT&H0&I0&R1     # setup modem for no flow control
ModemHardFlowCmd:       AT&H1&I0&R2     # setup modem for hardware flow
control
ModemSoftFlowCmd:       AT&H2&I2&R1     # setup modem for software flow
control
#
ModemSetupDTRCmd:       ATS13=1&D2      # setup so DTR drop resets modem
ModemSetupDCDCmd:       AT&C1           # setup so DCD reflects carrier
(or not)
ModemResultCodesCmd:    ATQ0X4          # enable extended result codes
#
#ModemSetupAACmd:       AT+FAA=1
ModemSetupAACmd:        AT+FCLASS=2.0
AdaptiveAnswer:         yes
#
ModemSetVolumeCmd:      "ATM0 ATM1 ATM1 ATM1 ATM1"
#
Class2BUGCmd:           AT+FBU=0
#
Class2CQQueryCmd:       !(0),(0)        # override modem response
#
Class2NRCmd:    AT+FNR=1,1,1,0
#
Class2SendRTC:  yes
#
Class2APQueryCmd:       ""

At first, I used the standard 'ModemSetupAACmd: AT+FAA=1' setting, but
this didn't seem to work at all. This gives me 'ANSWER: Ring detected
without successful handshake' before the modem resets.  At least some
other faxes are able to make contact when I use 'ModemSetupAACmd:
AT+FCLASS=2.0'.

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could give me a few tips on what
the problem might be.

Many thanks in advance!

Jaap