Re: [hylafax-users] What is DID exactly?

By my understanding, you have three options:

1. Use a phone company DID line which is essentially a phone line that
requires special equipment on your end to acquire the phone number dialed.
Multi-Tech has a modem that can interface with a DID line (MT5634ZBA-DID).
DID lines are inbound only and not necessarily cheap. Hylafax supports this.
2. Get an ISDN line and a modem that can interface to an ISDN line. I
believe Eicon as well as others can do this. ISDN lines are bi-directional.
I can't comment on pricing however. Hylafax supports this.
3. Use a capability that your PBX may have (if you are using a PBX) to route
multiple extensions to one station port. In this case, the PBX will send
DTMF digits to the modem after it goes off-hook. I don't know if Hylafax
supports this but if it doesn't support wouldn't be hard to add. This is the
best option if you already have a PBX with a digital line (T1 or PRI) coming
in that supplies the PBX with extension information.

Steve Tuckner
Multi-Tech Systems