Re: [hylafax-users] Modem doesn't say 'RING' and delay between TCF and +FDR

On 2004.07.27 13:00 Marc Ledermann wrote:
Hello,

I'm struggeling in geting Hylafax work with a ZyXEL U-1496e on a
SuSE 9.1 machine. At the moment there seem to last two problems. Both
are related to inbound activity (outbound seems to work really
fine...):

1) some strange behaviour: modem doesn't send 'RING' on a
call, but silly chars. If I make a ATZ on a minicom console a few
seconds before the call arrives, there will be 'RING' and faxgetty is
able to answer. But  after that, the silly chars are back... Probably
a problem with the init strings, but I didn't change the defaults.

The "silly chars" are usually what happens when the modem is set to communicate with the computer at a different baud rate than what the computer expects. Thus, if the computer is expecting 19200 and the modem uses 115200, then you'll see the messed up characters. This only usually happens, however, when the modem is reset without faxgetty noticing. I.e., you let faxgetty initialize the modem, then you power-cycle the external modem, and then you have a call come in. The modem is able to sense the baud rate that the computer uses, so once any communication takes place from the computer (i.e. ATZ) then all will be well. You could try using just plain "AT" instead of "ATZ" to verify this.

So you probably have some other program that is using the modem and is probably using a different baud rate. If you intend on having two programs both utilizing the modem then you have to do a lot of configuration work with both programs.

2) incomming faxes mostly abort with an error. Log follows...
(And behind the log there is my config.ttyS0)
until I added the two lines:
PercentGoodLines:       0
MaxConsecutiveBadLines: 0
every try to get a fax failed. Now every fax arrives, but it's not
human readable. Tooooooo many errors, I can identify lines of text,
but only two or three words on a page are clear...

Can you use Class 1, by chance? (From memory, I think these only have a Class 2.) If so you could try using ECM with HylaFAX 4.2.0 to see if you can receive stuff that way. It may even shed some light on what the problem is.

ModemRecvFillOrder: MSB2LSB # opposite of what makes sense

Unless this (ModemRecvFillOrder) is wrong, I wouldn't know what to guess at.

Lee.