Re: [hylafax-users] Fw: use fax machine as scanner

--- Simon Woodhead <woodheads@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Morning,
>
> Can anyone point to documentation for doing this?

What, sharing the scanner?
Take a look on this thread
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Scanners/Q_20134885.html

Basically what you want is SANE :-)

http://www.sane-project.org/

And I recall this thread

http://www.hylafax.org/archive/2002-08/msg00154.html

There are many ways to acomplish what you want.

> We currently have an analogue fax connected to the
> PBX and permitted to
> send internally only so a user pops the paper in,
> and dials his direct
> fax extension. The document is then delivered by
> email at which point
> he/she prints it to Hylafax and goes through the
> normal transmission
> process.
>
> It would be simpler to give the analogue fax access
> to the outside world
> but not doing so was a conscious step to discourage
> users from printing
> a document and then faxing it the 'old way'. This
> way, it is much more
> convenient for them to fax it from their desktop but
> we still
> occasionally have paper to send.
>
> I'd ideally like to be able to connect a scanner
> directly to the lan and
> for a user to be able to pop a document in it and
> send it to his/her
> desktop. From here it could be sent as a fax or used
> in other ways. The
> only experience I've got of this was using dreadful
> HP software which
> needed to be installed on every client PC -
> something we're keen to
> avoid repeating. A final step beyond this would be
> to have the scanner
> (or another scanner) sending documents directly in
> to Hylafax so the
> user simply gets the 'complete your fax' mail.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon

You have two options, which force the user to left the
desk but you can't avoid it. One is having the scanner
attached to a PC where the user only had to provide
his/her email address and the receipter fax number to
the HylaFAx client. I advice linux as the OS and
installing HylaFAX too, so you can use sendfax as a
client and you have a miriade of applications to use
with the scanner.

The second is just scanning the document to a folder
which the user has access trough samba, if they are
using windows as the desktop and send the document
using a client, say whfc, for example. The scanner, if
you use sane, can be controlled from the desktop.

In both cases, if the fax failled, the user get it by
email and can resend it again but this time he/she
woud do it from the desktop.