Re: [hylafax-users] spandsp?

* James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [040526 12:35]:
> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 12:18, Lee Howard wrote:
> > On 2004.05.26 08:40 James Pifer wrote:
> > > Anyone using spandsp with hylafax or know if it is supported. I
> > > searched
> > > the archives and had no hits for spandsp.
> >
> > I thought that spandsp handled faxing natively - in other words, I
> > thought that Asterisk users could use spandsp to handle faxes directly
> > and didn't need another application like HylaFAX.
> >
> > Did I think wrong?
> >
> > Lee.

> >   *To learn about commercial HylaFAX(tm) support, mail sales@xxxxxxxxx*
>
> Not sure. Some friends of mine are playing around with Asterisk and
> asked me that question. I said I would try and find out. I guess their
> trying to do some things that look like it would be easy with Hylafax,
> but is kind of a pain with Asterisk, but they want to use spandsp.

I understood that spandsp is just a host-based audio DSP processing library.

You need both an "application" that does the T.30 protocol, and a device
that transmits/receives the audio signal from the line.  For Asterisk,
the spandsp contains some apps (txfax, rxfax) that to the T.30, and uses
asterisk's channels to put the audio on the line.

a.