From: hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bill Binko
Sent: Wednesday, 19 May 2004 1:49 PM
To: hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [hylafax-users] Adding Headers/Footers/Watermarks to inbounds?

Hi all,
	I my quest to manage these faxes better, I have come across a
problem that I think should be easier than I'm finding it.

	I need to put either a header, a footer, or a watermark on each
page of a recieved fax along with a coverpage (generated on the receiving
end) with date/caller, etc info on it.  The only info that I NEED on each
page it is the fax id (that is, the number used to create the
"fax#####.tiff" filename).  Other info would be nice (CID name and
recieved date).

(As a side note, I just noticed that we are on id number 11793 after one
year of 3 modems in a server :)  Thanks for the excellent software!)

	I have tried several approaches to this.  Most recently, I have
generated the cover using enscript and then tried to use mpage to put that
file along with the pages from the TIFF into a PS file with a header.  I
have had moderate success.

Here's the chain of pipes (temporary files are actually used in some
places):

#first, we generate a cover page
Text Info (CID, etc) -> enscript -> PS Cover Page -> /tmp/coverfile.$$

#then we convert the TIFF to PS
Fax -> Hylafax -> TIFF -> tiff2ps -> PS Fax Pages -> /tmp/faxfile.$$

#mpage lets us combine them (using -1 for one per sheet) with headers

coverfile + faxfile + header info
            -> mpage -> PS doc with header -> ps2pdf -> Mail + Archive.

The problem is that no matter how I tweak this chain, I either get margins
clipped (via tiff2ps I think), or shrinkage of the page by about 10% (if I
use fax2ps).  I have also seen watermarks under the white image and many
other combinations of bad results.

Should I just be doing this while it's a tiff?  Is there a tool I'm
missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill