Re: [hylafax-users] repeated MPS and other page related errors

On Mon, 03 May 2004 14:50:23 -0500, "Bernard J. Starzewski"
<bstar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>The source of the problems appears to be that no matter what class
>setting or modem brand we cannot eliminate "No response to MPS signal"
>errors and/or similar page conjunction errors especially when sending
>larger batches.
Have you done some analysis?
% of fatal errors?
% of succesfully retried errors?

What's the exact error message in class2.1?

>The 2nd tier problem is that these failures are accompanied by the .doc
>files being deleted without the job being killed.
>As a result the fail email that is sent to faxmaster is universally the
>same error "Cannot open doc file"
I think this shouldn't happen, but this is easy to band-aid, just alter the
scheduling of the cron job deleting the jobs.
Alter /etc/cron.daily/hylafax
add
-j X
where X numbero of secs (ie 3600*24 for 1 day)

>Since the change of the modem to the Multitech ZBA this is now the only
>way that failed faxes terminate even when the error is a busy signal or
>no-carrier!
For the no-carrier you should increase NoCarrierRetrys parameter:
NoCarrierRetrys: X
X=number of tries you want.

For busy, are you saying you get 1 busy and job is aborted?
Provide history log for a busy job.

Also, you may want to increase the killtime. If you send using "sendfax",
add
KillTime:    "now +24 hours"
to /etc/hylafax/hyla.conf

>The "faxguy" tells me that I need to change the modem setting to class1
>from class 2.? but we have been all thorugh that with the USR which did
>not have any effect so I am skeptical and wonder why we should need to
>give up the higher functions of the modem like V.34 in order to prevent

You can try class1 just to see if you still get errors (since class1 is
driven by HylaFAX and class2.1 by modem firmware, if you still get errors
then there may be a problem with phone lines).

I think ZBA-V92 will do v34 in class1.0 (not class1) which is supported by
latest HylaFAX cvs (HEAD), so you still get 33k faxing in class1.0.

--
giulioo@xxxxxxxxx