Re: [hylafax-users] modem selection

On 2004.03.16 07:43 Matthew Sorah wrote:
Why is everyone so adamant about class 2?

I often have wondered that myself.

There are some historical reasons for timing-sensitive operations like fax protocol to be carried out by hardware, but I really don't think that many people here are using pre-1990 CPUs for timing sensitivity to really matter. And, I guess if you had a system with 100 or so busy modems then it could potentially be a factor (but with modern CPUs I doubt it - I think other things would become a bottleneck before the Class 1 protocol would). And, in some cases a Class 2/2.0/2.1 modem may support some feature that isn't available in Class 1, like say, V.34 support (which won't likely be true in a year or so from now, I'd guess).

But for the most part I think that people tend to prefer Class 2 over Class 1 is because 2 is a bigger number than 1.

Lee.