[hylafax-users] transmit level

I have a customer who reports poor receive signal and only receives about a
third of all faxes that I send from a hylafax 4.1.3 server running under
HP-UX 11.11.  The setup is 22 rack and standalone Netcomm modems all
connected directly to PSTN lines.

I have completed line tests (using Telstra's "TestFax Professional" service)
and have confirmed that the transmit level from all of my modems is -21dBm
or worse.  The modems have an extended Hayes command AT%Ln which allows
setting the transmit level between -11 and -19 dBm.  The default is 13 dBm.

I've tried setting this up manually (using cu and issuing an AT&W) but it
doesn't help.  It would seem that some sort of modem reset is being issued
and resetting this every time I send a fax.  How can I configure the modems
so that I guarantee that this control string is sent to the modem prior to
every fax?

I am also checking with Telstra to see if the problem is downstream.

thanks

Peter Hurwood
Systems Administrator
Qld Medical Laboratory