[hylafax-users] After upgrade "No assignable modem located"

I just upgraded from 4.1.2 to 4.1.7 on Debian.  After the upgrade I'm
unable to send faxes, and I see the message "No assignable modem
located" in the log.

In reviewing the archives I see this is associated with not having a
running faxgetty.  But I have it configured in inittab (just a single
modem):
S2:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS2

I wonder if the problem is that the new hylafax startup script also
seems to be running faxgetty.  It says, in part,

    if [ ${USE_FAXGETTY} == "yes" ]; then
      echo -n " faxgetty"
      for device in $devices none; do
        [ "$device" = none ] && continue
        ${FAXGETTY} `echo $device | cut -d . -f 2` &
      done
USE_FAXGETTY is yes.  $devices is the relevant tty's.

ps -C faxgetty shows two faxgetty processes.  I note that the restart
script does include the line
      killall faxgetty 2> /dev/null || true
although given that inittab is respawning, I'm not sure that matters.

I also noticed a recommendation in the documentation to rerun
faxaddmodem after an upgrade, which sort of suggests upgrades always
knock out available modems.

Can anyone confirm or deny either of these theories, or suggest what
might be the problem or solution?

I have filed a Debian bug about this
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=214477 if you're
curious), but so far no response.  I've also looked over the
documentation to see what files should list the available modems, but
I haven't found an answer.  I still have config.ttyS2 as before; I
don't know if that should be enough.

Thanks.