Re: [hylafax-users] MultiTech ZBA

> I have the same modem (USB version). Make sure you uprade the firmware
> from Multitech's web site (requires a Windows PC to run the flashing
> software).

Got it.  Even a brand new modem, eh?  I don't even have it yet! :)

> I wanted to support that as well, but ended up having to disable it
> because we had too many senders who could not successfully send us
> FAXes. Turning off MMR (only) has solved the problem for now.

This is an outbound-only fax application, but I appreciate the heads-up.  I
am to understand that this modem can internally transcode 2D-MMR into
whatever the remote-end supports?  Steve, is this true?  I hope the
Multitech comes with a really good manual thoroughly documenting all of the
AT +F commands and the S registers.

The last modem which really impressed me with its engineering quality and
attention to details was the Telebit.  My T2000 had TONS of tuning knobs,
and an entire bank of ten S registers to diagnose a live connection... dB
S/N ratios across the connection's spectral range in 7Hz buckets, as well as
databit/channel allocations, etc.

I got mine for the then-bargain of $650 because I was a SysOp of a bulletin
board. [I started with the metal-cased gray "Trailblazer", and kept
upgrading it as new models came out.]  I used to reliably get 16,500
bits/sec in cross-country file transfers back when Hayes+USR could barely
manage 9,600.  This is *PRE* compression mind you, and was in the late
1980s/early 90s.

Back in Ancient History I used use it to test out long distance carriers to
see how badly they did low-pass filtering...  this was in the early 1990s, mind.

I kept my T2000 and Worldblazers - every once in a while I have a telco
communications problem which only they can solve... like getting more than
300bps out of Papua New Guinea to Australia for example.  DAMQAM seems far
superior to the V-something carrier modulation schemes that more "modern"
modems use when in adverse line conditions.

Is Multitech the only "real" modem company left?  Everything else seems like
homogenous Made-in-China/Taiwan trash that isn't worth the money even if
they gave it away "free".

=R=

[*] Real being defined as a company with real engineering and committed to
providing quality and accurate documentation to their lifeblood: the customers.