Re: [hylafax-users] Question: No DialTone

James Chu wrote:

> dear sir,
> i have directed my phone number to my mobile. and the dial tone here
> (Hong Kong) is changed. while i tried to send fax through my fax
> client (WHFC-1.2.1), it fail with the reason of no dial tone.
> Is there any settings in Hylafax can disable the detect dial tone?
> OR
> i need to set this through my fax client?
> OR
> is it related the modem settings?
> THANKS~
> Regards,
> James
> p.s. my hylafax version is 4.1.6.-1rh7

In the HylaFAX etc directory (usually /var/spool/hylafax/etc/), in the
file config.ttyS0 (or whatever tty your modem is on),

add (or modify) the ModemDialCmd line to insert X3, which tells the mode
to NOT check for dial tone before dialing:

ModemDialCmd: ATX3DT%s

In my case this was useful because the outgoing fax line is also an
incoming voice line with the phone company's message service. When a
message is waiting, the dial tone changes to an interrupted dial tone
(which Hylafax counts as no dial tone). So without this setting, HylaFAX
would think there was no dial tone and never send any faxes until you
cleared off the messages.

The down side is that if you are really in the middle of a voice call,
and HylaFAX tries to send a fax, it goes ahead and beeps and squeals in
your ear (instead of just making a small click and backing off like it
does without the X3).

Regards.

Martin