Re: [hylafax-users] large multiport systems

On 2003.08.26 10:24 Darren Nickerson wrote:

I may be wrong here Lee, but my research tells me you should look for
another culrprit if you're looking to improve your V.34 broadcast
performance.

I have suspicions that V.8 handshaking functions slightly different when using digital equipment than when using analog equipment. The only equipment of which I am aware that supports V.34 faxing with analog equipment comes from either MultiTech or BrookTrout. As HylaFAX (open source) only supports the former, I have no reason to blame the increase in handshaking time when V.8 is attempted (either by the receiver, by the sender, or by both) on the manufacturer's implementation. When HylaFAX truly supports Class 1.0 then maybe I'll be in a position to draw conclusions that way. In any case, the increase in handshaking time of which I have spoken is "only" on the order of 1-3 seconds per call. Almost any significant amount of image data will easily offset this delay. I was wrong in concluding otherwise.

The other culprit of which you speak is ECM protocol.

Usage of V.34 requires the usage of ECM protocol. ECM protocol actively strives for perfect image quality. Non-ECM protocol only strives for near-perfect quality, depending upong the copy-quality settings of the receiver. So the likelihood that retransmission of image data (due to PPR) will occur in an ECM fax is much greater than the likelihood that retransmission of image data (due to RTN) will occur in a non-ECM fax.

It is inaccurate and misleading to compare ECM faxing against non-ECM faxing (or vice-versa) due to this difference in goals.

I've seen lots of marketing material out there (propaganda?) that tries to sell people on purchasing new hardware, software, or both because making that investment into V.34 and MMR-supporting equipment will "pay for itself over time in toll savings and necessary lines". This is only always true if we are only considering ECM faxing. It is only sometimes true (and in my experience, more often it is untrue) when also considering non-ECM faxing.

A fax sent without ECM at 14400 bps with MR compression can, when enough noise exists to put image quality less than perfect but still "near-perfect" (and this is a very common situation), be sent faster than a fax sent at 33600 bps with MMR compression (with requisite ECM, of course) because with ECM faxing image data had to be resent, sometimes repeatedly, to acheive perfect image quality while non-ECM faxing completed successfully without image data retransmission.

I suspect that most people are going to find the value in ECM faxing to be worth it. However, I also suspect that there are going to be some people, particularly bulk faxers, which will think otherwise - because in non-ECM faxing if the receiver sends MCF rather than RTN, that means that the image quality was "good enough" for them... and the "savings" of not using ECM is better spent sending more faxes out.

Lee.