Re: [hylafax-users] mgetty and faxgetty on same com port

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:18:46 +0530, "Vinayakam Murugan"
<vinayak@theargoncompany.com> wrote:

>I am a new Hylafax user. I have a modem connected to COM1.
> I want to use mgetty for accepting inward data requests and faxgetty (Hylafax) for sending/receiving fax requests.
>Is this possible? If yes, would I need to tweak any settings?
You'll need to:
1) put faxgetty in inittab (not mgetty)
2) config.<devid>:  GetyArgs "-b -r -s %s %l"   (so faxgetty will start
mgetty)
3) "toggle-dtr no" in mgetty.config
4) check that the speed with which faxgetty open the line is the same of
mgetty
5) if mgetty will start pppd, check that pppd and HylaFAX use the same kind
of flow control.

Then, you need a way to distinguish between fax and data calls (adaptive
answer); there are 2 ways: A) modem does it; B) HylaFAX tries first data
then fax or viceversa.
The latter is too prone to problems and so I'd not use it.
So, it all depends on how well your modem firmware is able to tell data from
fax.

You need to set up your config.<devid> so that modem will report DATA or FAX
to faxgetty, usually:
ModemSetupAACmd:       AT+FCLASS=0;+FAE=1
or
ModemSetupAACmd:       AT+FCLASS=0;+FAA=1

Then, you may need to consider the ModemWaitForConnect if your modem needs
it.

So, you see you have to do many tests and hope for the best.

Right now I have a rockwell based modem which, when used with adaptive
answer, needs ModemWaitForConnect for FAX and does not want it for DATA, so
I cannot use it for adaptive answer.
In the past I succesfully tried a USR 56k faxmodem.
YMMV.

--
giulioo@pobox.com