[hylafax-users] Scanning and Faxing Tips

I would greatly appreciate any tips for scanning documents for faxing, or to
lead me to where I might find information on this topic.  So far I've met
with mixed results.  I tried faxing somebody a clipped newspaper article as
follows:

scanimage -v --format tiff --mode Lineart | sendfax -v -m -D -d 123-4567

the receiver said the fax was illegible.  Then I tried:

scanimage -v --format tiff --mode Grayscale --resolution 300 | sendfax -v -m
-D -d 123-4567

the resultant fax was somewhat better and readable, though still of fairly
poor quality.

Would it help to scan the fax as tiff or pnm, and then convert to a
postscript document, before using sendfax?

Thanks,

George