Re: [hylafax-users] large multiport systems

> > You're not up to date on deployment statistics ... V.34 is much more
> > common
> > than that. It's estimated that about 60% of all laser fax machines and
> > 25%
> > of inkjet models sold today are V.34 enabled. By 2005, as much as 75%
> > of all
> > laser fax machines and 50% of all inkjet fax machines sold will be
> > V.34
> > enabled.
>
> In my experience V.8 handshaking (done with V.34 faxing) takes longer
> than handshaking with non-V.34 faxing.  And therefore V.34 only proves
> beneficial if there is enough data to send that the increased bitrate
> will compensate for the V.8 handshaking lag.  Generally speaking a
> one-page MMR-compressed page, such as this gentlemen is discussing,
> will not contain enough data to make V.34 worthwhile.

Lee,

That has not been our experience, and it's a surprising observation since I
think V.8's entire reason for existing is to make handshaking faster, not
slower.

How many different types of  hardware and V.34 implementations are you using
to draw this conclusion? Are you certain it thay all actually support V.8
handshaking, and that there aren't limitations in (problems with) their
implementation of V.34 training? How efficiently/reliably does the fallback
to V.17 take place?

Our experience with Brooktrout and Eicon boards runs contrary to your
observations, for what it's worth. We're using use both V.34 and ECM in
1-page broadcasts and are very pleased with the results.

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson
Senior Sales & Support Engineer