Re: [hylafax-users] large multiport systems

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Sedat Yilmazer wrote:

>  I do not know about the Cyclades Cyclom-64Ze modems. Main concern here
> is the number of interrupts. You have a short FIFO on that card  (like
> 16 ) you will get an interrupt for every ~16 bytes. At 14400 bps (
> ~1.5Kbytes/sec) you will receive about 300,000 interrupts per second

At a previous job, I built and ran Linux based dial-up servers using
RocketPorts and Cyclom-Ye's (old ISA versions of each).  The final
versions of these systems were Pentium 100's with 80 ports in the Comtrol
based one, 64 in the Cyclades based on.  They used v.34 modems and had no
trouble keeping up with dial-up traffic...but then dial-up users don't all
download at full speed at the same time...so this may not be a meaningful
data point.