[hylafax-users] dialrules config problems

I'm trying to deal -- once again -- with the fact that the Florida
Public Service Commission requires Florida carriers *not to permit*
across-the-board 11-digit dialling.  Happens my carrier apparently
ignores them, but I can't count on everyone's doing it, so I have to
play dialrules games.

Why?

Because people don't *store* dialable fax numbers in databases, they
store *addresses* (usually, 10 digit numbers with assorted punctuation.

Why is this a problem?

Well, here's the canonical example.

Customer is in 727-535.  There are 5 different dialling patterns they
might have to use.

727, local (Clearwater):      dial 7 digits
727, toll (New Port Richey):  dial 1 + 727 + 7 digits (there's a LATA split)
813, ECS (Tampa):             dial 813 + 7 digits
813, toll (Lakeland):         dial 1 + 813 + 7 digits (second metro away)
other toll:                   dial 1 + 10 digits

So, the sanest approach I can figure out which doesn't require *me* to
a) reprogram the FPSC or b) try to track every possible NPA-NXX which
might be an exception (an impossible job anyway in this CLEC era), and
doesn't require the *client(s)* to restripe *every* number in their
database is this:

I need a dialrules file which will pass

1)	7 digits
2)	727+7d
3)	1-727+7d
4)	813+7d
5)	1-813+7d

and add a 1 in front of *any other 10 digit number*.  And I'm not sure
how to write that; it appears to require a way to shortcut the
processing of the dialrules, and I don't see that there is one.

Is it really safe to match

?

That seems like it would have unintended consequences...

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c