[hylafax-users] What's required to make faxpolling work?

Sorry, this question has certainly been asked many times before, but
unfortunately none of the replies I found in the archives of this list
really fits to my problem, which is so:

	sendfax -p -d 019012345678

leads to an entry in the fax sendqueue, but nothing happens. No number
is dialled. The job just times out.

	faxstat -s

gives

	JID  Pri S  Owner Number       Pages Dials     TTS Status
	58   127 W maclan 019025222387  0:0   0:12

but after a while I get an email telling me that the job could not be
completed before its kill time.

	sendfax -D -d 01051.089.1234567 xxxx.ps

works just fine.

I am running Hylafax 4.1.5 on SuSE Linux 8.2 with a very old Class 1/2
modem (haeussler h144e) configured as Class 2 with adaptive answer
support. I installed the software and ran faxsetup and faxaddmodem
following the guidelines in the SuSE 6.2 manual (yes, 6.2, not 8.2,
here) and the HowTo chapter on installation (section 2.3.2 for SuSE). I
have absolutely no idea why poll jobs are apparently simply ignored by
the Hylafax server. It's interesting, though, that there's an entry in
the sendq subdirectory, but not in pollq.

This is what I find in sendq for "sendfax -p -d 019012345678".