Re: [hylafax-users] Native PCL faxing?!

Lee Howard wrote:

> On 2003.04.17 15:02 Frank Peters wrote:
>
>> Why use the fax protocol to send general documents?
>

> Because it has long been (and continues to be) a popular standard for
> document communication.  Internet communication, and in particular
> e-mail, are not yet as generally accepted for document communication
> as is facsimile.
>
> So, when I call the county courthouse to obtain forms for tax
> purposes, it's more likely that they have them in a paper format and a
> fax machine than it is for them to have them in electronic format or
> have a scanner handy with a competent user... as well as internet access.
>
> When I call to dispute a billing issue with MSN... they ask me to
> *fax* them copies of my bills ... not e-mail.
>
> So, for the moment facsimile is still a general standard, and in order
> to conduct business in a professional manner, such standards would
> need to be supported.
>
> That's why.  Personally, I'd rather have e-mail take over... but
> that's not going to happen quickly.
>
> Lee.

Both (traditional)e-mail and fax are antiquated.  But I think fax will
be around so long as our phone systems are not yet 100% digital.
 Documents still can't be easily or universally printed without fax.
 The nice thing about fax is the ability to print directly to anyone's
fax or computer printer.  E-mail can't do that.   Fax is one form of
messaging service with unique features not found in e-mail.   I think
one fine day both tradional e-mail and fax will merge to an internet
based messaging system for all kinds of communication - voice, text,
graphics, html, etc.  But I don't see this happening any time real soon.

George