Re: [hylafax-users] modem recommendation

Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> After several frustrating attempts with USR and Zyxel modems I need to
> ask on this list:
>
> Does anybody have a working combination of a currently available modem
> and configuration file?

I only have a couple of older externals left (a cheapo clone 56k
voice/fax/data with cirrus logic chipset, and an even older cardinal
33.6 fax/data).  Both work fine with default setup from the
faxaddmodem script, although they are only Class 1 fax-capable.

I followed the stuff in the setup docs and man pages; I used to be
pretty good with slip, ppp, etc, but this is the first time I've
ever used the fax stuff under linux.  And since I've had DSL for
years now, my modem skills are getting rusty...

The first thing to try is setserial, and make sure your serial port
is setup properly (regardless of whether it's an internal or
external modem).  I usually use minicom to play with AT commands and
stuff, which is a good test of whether your comm port and modem are
configured and working properly.  I also tried efax before hylafax,
which would also help confirm whether or not your modem is working.

Sorry, but I don't have more than a few weeks of faxing under my belt...

HTH, Steve