Re: [hylafax-users] fax4CUPS questions for hylafax use on Linux client

I have it working.

I obtained 'fax4CUPS' from http://gongolo.usr.dsi.unimi.it/~vigna/fax4CUPS

The CUPS backend script in fax4CUPS-1.22.tar.gz had some problems.  First of
all, the script 'hylafax' didn't have execute permission.  This prevents the
"Local Hylafax Server" device from showing up in the combo box during the
CUPS add printer operation.

Second, the order of operations in the sendfax line is incorrect for recent
Hylafax versions.  The phone number "-d <number>" arguments should be just
before the filename, viz.,

sudo -u $USER $FAXPRG $RES -n -f $FROM -s $PAGE -d $NUMBER $FAXNAME

Finally, I needed to modify several execution paths to match my system.

Please note that the 'fax4CUPS' package requires the 'sudo' utility,
available from http://www.courtesan.com/sudo.  I didn't have it installed on
my Mandrake Linux system, but it was available as part of the distribution.

Although the package implies that it works with a 'local Hylafax server',
this is not strictly true.  The 'sendfax' program will automatically use a
remote host if one has been configured in /usr/local/lib/fax/hyla.conf.

For those not familiar with CUPS, the standard location for the log file is
/var/log/cups/error_log, which can be controlled from /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
One can insert debug "print" statements in the CUPS backend script with

	echo "ERROR:  .... your debug statement here ...  1>&2

This backend script has its limitations.  There doesn't appear to be a good
way to insert the destination phone number.  A phone number can be given for
the job with:

	lpr -Pfax -J <phone-number> faxjob.ps

If the phone number is not specified as the job name, the error handling
seems inadequate.

What one really wants is to print to the fax printer with any application,
and have a window pop up to prompt the user for the phone number.  It would
also be nice for the pop up window to present saved phone numbers (a
rolodex).  This has been done with Windows clients (e.g., WHFC), but not with
Unix clients (to the best of my knowledge).