[hylafax-users] faxaddmodem

Hi all!

I use hylafax-4.1.3-32 (from SuSE-8.1 distribution) and a want to
tell you some new cognitions about the peculiar behaviour of
the "faxaddmodem" command.

I already mentioned "faxaddmodem" asks for the count of rings
before answer but forgets to write a line beginning with
"RingBeforeAnswer".

Of course, I assume this line isn't really necessary and if
absent  some default - say 1 ring - is used.
Instead of this the modem never hooks off.

But there are still more aspects: It forgets to ask for
a lot of parameters and in config.<dev> these parameters are commented
out. Amazing is for instance it doesn't ask for the byte
orders although even this is very complicatet with my "Dr. Neuhaus Cybermode":

ModemRecvFillOrder:     MSB2LSB         # bit order of received facsimile
ModemSendFillOrder:     LSB2MSB         # bit order modem expects for transmit

(BTW: How many users know these values ? I didn't find them in any
modem manual).

Also this original "faxaddmodem" output is very surprising:

#ModemNoFlowCmd:        AT&K            # disable flow control cmd
#ModemHardFlowCmd:      AT&K3           # hardware flow control cmd
#ModemSoftFlowCmd:      AT&K4           # software flow control cmd

because the correct "Dr. Neuhaus Cybermode" values are:

ModemNoFlowCmd:         AT\Q0           # disable flow control cmd
ModemHardFlowCmd:       AT\Q3           # hardware flow control cmd
ModemSoftFlowCmd:       AT\Q1           # software flow control cmd
ModemNoAutoAnswerCmd:   ATS0=0          # disable auto-answer

The "faxmodem" command never asked me for these parameters.
And extremly wrong (despite of the '#') is:

#ModemResetCmds:                ""              # stuff to do when modem is reset

This avoids the whole fax receive operation. Correct is:

ModemResetCmds:         ATX3E0V1S0=1            # stuff to do when modem is reset

Furthermore it correctly sets these lines. But they are completely
ignored during HylaFax operation:

RecvFileMode:           0660
LogFileMode:            0660
DeviceMode:             0660

I need for our scan-fax solution with apache integration the group write access.
But the files are:

-rw-r-----    1 fax      uucp          328 Mar 20 18:51 /var/spool/fax/log/c00000001

I assume it has to do with umask. But what is the umask of the following user:

fax:x:10:14:Facsimile Agent:/var/spool/fax:/bin/false

Because of "/bin/false" I can't test it with:

$ su - fax
$ touch /tmp/testfile.txt

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (ja@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)