Re: [hylafax-users] smbfax COMMAND FAILED resolution

Hi Again,

Actually, when looking at it again. I now realise that I was wrong.

The perl script does quote the commands with spaces, it just doesn't show it in the debug (look in smbfax-html.pl as there is a debug line that can be uncommented).

I found later that the script is being run as the apache user which is making it not have permissions to the $TEMP data dir (/usr/local/www/fax).

A quick dodgy way to fix this that I found was to edit the smbfax script to make the data files have 755 permissions as opposed to 0700. This way, the apache user can read the files when it sends the fax. Thing is with this is that the user does not get the notifications and other users can read the data files, although luckily in my case, the secretary manages these any way so I created a forwarder from www-data (debians apache user) to the receptionists email address and also, none of the users on the network have access to the file system on the server anyway.

I can now say with absolute certainty that this problem is definitely caused by the script not being about to change its owner privileges when running the hylafax command, hence not being able to read the data file.

I have been unable to fix this core problem but have managed to get around it (as mentioned above).

My apologies to all for 'jumping the gun'.

A question to the hylafax people: Is there any way to cc or bcc a specified email address with notifications regarding a fax when adding it to the queue ? If so, a simple modification to the smbfax-html.pl script would mean that right user could get notifications regarding their fax.

Sorry for the long post. Thank's. I hope this has helped.

BTW: I have found Hylafax to be an excellent piece of software.

Donovan