Re: [hylafax-users] Problems faxing from a scanner

Vlad Popa wrote:

> Hi
>
> It seems that the machine ist out of resources when using
> simultaneusly a USB scanner and  the PCI emulated linmodem.

Actually, the scanning is completed before the fax is sent, so it seems
unlikely that there is a conflict between them.

> Have you tried using a "real"   external modem  so the cpu could catch
> some vacation ? (we all need that sometimes !)
> Try compiling your own kernel and patch it with the connexant drivers
> ! The guys at RedHat have some non-standart-kernels running ..
>   Try to get a windowmanager running consuming as less as possible CPU
> resources !
>   run xosview or top to be informed about resources consumed ..
>   You could try more swap or RAM, but best way would bet to get a
> external modem.

 I have 384 M of RAM and about 1 GB of swap space.

> or scan, save the file, close sane and then open gfax ore something
> else to fax your file separately out.

As I mentioned, the fax process appears to take place after the scanning
is done.  I suspect a problem with either Hylafax or the modem driver,
and probably should use something different. I'll your suggestions some
thought, but I'm not sure I have the technical know-how to pull it off
in anything less than a couple of months.

Thanks for your ideas.
Rich Teitel