Re: [hylafax-users] Fax Broadcasting:

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 09:40:22AM -0600, Joe W. Guy, Jr. wrote:
> Greetings!  I've been hired to set up a fax broadcasting server for a small
> business.  They plan on broadcasting documents to an estimated 5,000 phone
> numbers a day.  My questions are 1.  Can hylafax be used to do this

Yes.

> 2. How
> many phone lines do we need ?

A lot.  Nobody will be able to give you a straight and honest answer to
that question without a detailed discussion on the particulars of the
application.

As an example, much depends on the reliability of the recipient fax
machines; if they are often busy or otherwise not working right the
number of lines required goes WAY up.  It also depends on the size of
the documents being faxed.  The CPU horsepower involved also depends to
some extent on the source document format (and thus the conversions that
must be made to TIFF for the faxing process.)

Depending on the sizing parameters you may need a distributed system with
more than one machine doing the faxing and/or custom driver software to
make possible "reverse connection" modem servers.

> 3.  How would I get it all to work ?  Any
> information on this setup would be great!!  Thanks!!
>
> Joe

A job of this size and scope, if you're not up to it yourself, is beyond
what I expect you can get in free advice from a mailing list.  I, along
with, I suspect a number of others who read this list, could probably put
something to do this together for you, but its a relatively involved job
(and thus is likely to cost some $$.)

Much of the complexity and design (along with the effort involved and thus
the cost of implementation) depends on EXACTLY what the application is
(e.g. are we talking INVOICES, which MUST be delivered reliably, etc)

Be aware that there are legal requirements connected with broadcast fax,
and that violating them can get you in a LOT of hot water.

Email me with "I-AGREE" in the subject line (to get around my spam filters)
if you'd like to discuss this off-list.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net			Cost-effective Consulting
http://childrens-justice.org			SIGN THE UPREPA PETITION TODAY