[hylafax-users] distinctive ring problem

WARNING:  The following data has NOT been sanitized, to ensure
          that the signature remains intact, if valid.  Please
          be careful if you open any enclosed attachments.

WARNING:  The following data has NOT been sanitized, to ensure
          that the signature remains intact, if valid.  Please
          be careful if you open any enclosed attachments.

Hi,

	I've been researching through this most of last night and a good
part of today, with no luck.  So, I'm posting to the list hoping someone
knows how/if this can be done:

	I'm using the hylafax-4.1.5-1rh8 package (HylaFAX 4.1.5, on Red Hat
8.0, with a US Robotics 56K Voice internal modem.)

	Let me explain what I'm trying to do:  Up to this point (I'm now
trying to do this in HylaFAX) I had run mgetty/vgetty with its distinctive
ring support to act as my voice mail and fax.  The main number, when called,
prodcues a "RING A" from the modem.  The modem would then answer as a voice
mail system.  When "RING B" is produced (someone calls my data/fax #) it
would answer as data and fax.

	However, there's no (easy) way to pick up voicemail from remote.
I recently bought a digital cordless phone which has an answering machine
built into it.  I want to use that now.

	So, here's what needs to happen:  When someone calls the main
number (and the modem sends "RING A") the computer doesn't do anything
with the call -- doesn't even pick up the phone.  That will let it ring
on to the answering machine.  However, when a call comes in through the
second number ("RING B") then the computer should answer as data/fax.

	I tried hacking the mgetty source to do this with no luck.  (I'm
not a programmer though.  At least not C.  I'm a PHP guy.)  I've used
HylaFAX in the past at a company I used to work for (I set them up with it
and used it for quite some time.)  I'd like to let family here at home
send faxes from their desktops anyway, so this would be a great way to do
so.  Looking through HylaFAX documentation, it mentions that if faxgetty is
told to answer only types of calls, it would just reject the calls that don't
match.  That sounds like what I want to do.

	However, I've spent a good part of last night and today looking at
documentation and trying to figure out how to tell faxgetty to answer for
"RING B" as data/fax, and when "RING A" comes in, just leave things alone
and don't answer period.

	I have a feeling it's something simple that either isn't mentioned
in the docs, or that I managed to overlook.  Surely someone has done this
before. :)  If I can get that part working, then I'll probably run HylaFAX
on our whole network here.  Would be great!

	If anyone knows how to do this and could point me in the right
direction that would be appreciated.  Also, if you could, either reply to
me directly (or CC: me) since I'm not subscribed to the list.  Thanks!

		Jeremy

- --
Jeremy Gault            <jeremy@pointlessmedia.org>
Engineer of Many Things, Pointless Media Group
"Real programmers program by whisling down the MIC IN part of a ZX80."
    -- Adrian Millett