[hylafax-users] Best internal modem

I have several problems configuring the winmodem SupraMax 56i Voice PCI (US
- SUP2260) with slackware 8.1. I installed the HCF drivers from
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/ The drivers seem to get installed, and I am
able to use the cu command with the modem. Faxaddmodem is also able to talk
to the modem.

The problem starts when I start hylafax (hylafax start) with everything
configured (including incoming services with
t2:23:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty /dev/ttySHCF0 in my initab)

FaxGetty[201]: Unable to setup modem on /dev/ttySHCF0; giving up after 2
attempts is the one of the error messages in /var/log. I also get an email
from the service telling me the modem is wedged.

If I setup faxmodem with the correct parameter cu spits out for the class
1.0 modem, and try only outbound service using the sendfax command, it
executes, but nothing happens.

I cannot connect using ppp with the modem, so I do not know if the modem is
even functional.

I am about ready to give up on this modem, I have wasted entirely too much
time trying to make it work. I would love some pointers on a new modem.

I guess the question is, are there any sucess stories with this modem, or
should I buy another, and which?

I am runnin a 586 166mmx with 98mb of ram on slack 8.1 running 2.4.18.
Please help!