Re: [hylafax-users] 2D and 1D Compression

On 2002.03.09 11:43 lproxy@comcast.net wrote:

> Why does the documentation claim that HylaFAX determines optimal
> compression based on the receiving machine when this is clearly
> not the case?  If the -2 parameter is not specified in the
> sendfax command line, HylaFAX will only produce a 1D compressed
> file from the PostScript input.

HylaFAX determines initial optimal compression by looking at an info file
which may have been created during a past communication with the remote.
If there is no info file (it is the first time you've faxed there) then
the system will always send 1D unless specifically told to otherwise.
After the first fax is sent to a destination, the actual optimal setting
will be used.  This is by design - although most of us these days disagree
with it.

> A good improvement for future versions of HylaFAX should be file
> compression that occurs only *after* a negotiation with the
> receiving fax machine has determined all relevant capabilities.

The design was intentional on the part of Sam Leffler, the original
HylaFAX author, because there were fears that 1D/2D file
creation/compression/alteration on-the-fly would jeopardize timing
sensitivities with the fax protocol.  I think it's safe to say that the
fears were unwarranted, but remember that this is OLD software, and maybe
on a 386 it made a big difference.

Don't like it?  Feel free to make an alteration to fix it.  Please post
your changes, though, for the benefit of others.

Lee.