From: Chris Gamache [mailto:cgg007@yahoo.com]
Sent: 12 November 2001 12:55
To: matt@artemisci.com
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] How To Change details on confirmation email

Been struggling with notify.awk myself. Here's what I know. If someone
(anyone!) knows anything different, feel free to join in the fray!

bin/notify.awk is spawned by the bin/notify shell script, which is called after
a fax attempt is made, successful or un. The data that you get inside your
email comes from the jobfile in doneq/doc###, ### is the jobnumber. There's a
section in notify.awk that looks like...

/^jobid/        { jobid = $2; }
/^groupid/      { groupid = $2; }
/^state/        { state = $2+0; }
/^doneop/       { doneop = $2; }
/^number/       { number = $2; }
etc...

That's where a variable gets set. Its a regular expression that takes a line in
the doneq/doc### file starting with "whatever" and puts it into "variable" like
this...

/^whatever/     { variable = $2; }

If the data you want can be found anywhere in the doneq/doc###, then you can
have it, otherwise you'll have to snag it from some other source and really
hack on the script file.

BTW: if you want to print it out, find the section of the awk file that
corresponds to the message you want to edit (i.e. successful fax, unsuccessful
fax...) and place a line

    printItem("%s", "WhatEver", variable);

Anything more than just printing the data (calculations, etc.), you'll have to
get into awk and code it. If you code, it shouldn't be hard. The real trick is
to find the piece of data in that doneq/doc### file (or some other file...) and
put it where you want it.

I've been TRYING to get the Company Name from the faxcover into my emails, but
can't figure it out. I haven't got a response from my question posts yet. :)

Hope this lengthy explanation helps some more...

CG