Re: [hylafax-users] Multiport modem card recommendation

At 11:53 AM 9/5/01 -0700, Mark Villanova wrote:
>I need a recommendation on Comtrol or similar multiport card.  Also any
>recommendations on PCI hardware modems.  My superiors want real world
>recommendations from people who are using the cards.  What cards do you
>guys use and what has been your experience?  Ease of installation,
>Failure rate, etc...  Please include number of faxes received daily.  I
>am looking at the potential for some serious volume on this box and I
>need reliability.  Your info will help me to sell the boss on this
>solution which I believe in wholeheartedly.  Please reply off-list and
>anyone who is interested in the summary I compile let me know and I will
>forward it to you.

I've used the Comtrol RocketModem before (an ISA 8-port).  And it worked
very well and was easy to get running in Linux.  I did not use it in a
production environment, though, so I didn't have a large fax volume running
with it.

As for production environments with PCI controller-based modems, I've used
the 3Com/USR 3CP5610(A) in several places and they work well in Class 1.
Those places were doing more sending than receiving, however.  They would
send about 50 faxes daily.  I've also used the MultiTech MT5634ZPX-PCI in a
5-modem system.  This system receives about 100 faxes daily and sends about
600 faxes weekly.  These modems have worked well (again in Linux).

I have never had a modem fail at all, so I can't report on failure rates.

Lee.